Skip to main content
DentalReachDentalReach
Home
Articles
Podcasts
Dentists
Jobs
Events
Forum
Log in
Sign up

Notifications

Nothing yet

0 unread notifications

DentalReach

Connecting dental professionals worldwide with peer-reviewed research, career opportunities and continuing education.

rockson@dentalreach.co+91 70106 50063

Unit-1116, 11th Floor, Hub Town Viva, Off Western Express Highway, Jogeshwari East, Mumbai 400060

Explore

  • Articles & research
  • Events & conferences
  • Podcasts
  • Jobs
  • Specialties
  • Locations
  • Magazine

Community

  • Forum
  • Find professionals
  • Dentists near me
  • DR Picks
  • WhatsApp community

Company

  • About DentalReach
  • Publish with us
  • Advertise
  • Media kit
  • Guides
  • Professors
  • Sitemap

Dentistry by region

North America
  • United States
  • Canada
Latin America & Caribbean
  • Brazil
  • Mexico
  • Argentina
  • Colombia
  • Chile
  • Peru
Europe
  • United Kingdom
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Spain
  • Switzerland
  • Russia
  • Ireland
  • Czech Republic
Middle East & North Africa
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Israel
  • Egypt
  • Morocco
  • Iran
  • Qatar
  • Turkey
  • Algeria
Sub-Saharan Africa
  • South Africa
  • Nigeria
  • Kenya
  • Ghana
  • Ethiopia
Asia-Pacific (APAC)
  • China
  • India
  • Japan
  • South Korea
  • Australia
  • Singapore
  • Indonesia

© 2026 Secure Dentalreach Private Limited. All rights reserved.

ISSN 2582-3469 · PAN AAGCS9161B · GSTIN 27AAGCS9161B2ZB

PrivacyTermsCookiesAccessibility
  • Our conferencesDentalReach’s own annual meetings
  • Digital Awards 2026Nominate a colleague — or yourself
  • Advertise with usFormats, audience and a custom quote
  • Submit an articlePublish with DentalReach
  • Follow our WhatsApp ChannelNews, webinars, events and jobs
  • Chat with us on WhatsApp+91 70106 50063
Can you get dental implants if you have gum disease? | DentalReach
Forum/Implant Dentistry

Can you get dental implants if you have gum disease?

started 19h ago1 reply11

This is an important question for anyone considering dental implants, especially if you have experienced bleeding gums, gum recession, swelling, bad breath, or loose teeth.

Active gum disease should generally be addressed before implant treatment. Periodontal disease can affect the gums and supporting bone around the teeth, and these tissues are also important for creating a healthy environment around an implant.

Before recommending implants, a dentist may assess the condition of the gums, check for periodontal pockets, evaluate bone levels with dental imaging, and look for signs of infection or inflammation. Depending on the situation, treatment may include professional cleaning, deep periodontal cleaning, improved oral hygiene, or more advanced periodontal treatment.

This does not necessarily mean that someone with a history of gum disease cannot have implants. The important point is that the disease should be properly managed and the oral tissues should be stable before proceeding.

Another factor is long-term maintenance. Even after successful implant placement, regular professional check-ups and good daily oral hygiene are important. Implants can also develop inflammation around the supporting tissues if plaque and bacteria are not controlled.

For anyone comparing implant treatment options, I would recommend asking the dentist:

Do I currently have active gum disease? Is there enough healthy bone for an implant? Do I need periodontal treatment first? Will I need bone grafting or another procedure? How often should I have follow-up appointments after the implant? What happens if gum problems return after treatment?

The cheapest implant plan is not necessarily the best option. A proper periodontal evaluation and a clear treatment plan are much more important for achieving a predictable long-term result.

For a more detailed explanation of gum disease, periodontal treatment, and why gum health matters before implants, this article is a useful reference:

andent.al/blog/gum-disease-before-dental-implants-albania

1 reply

?Former member·13h ago

I had a similar concern when I was looking into dental implants because I had some gum issues and wasn’t sure if that would automatically rule them out. What I learned is that the gum disease usually needs to be under control first. My dentist checked my gums and bone before discussing the implant, which made me feel much more comfortable about the whole process.

I’d definitely recommend getting a proper periodontal evaluation before making a decision. I’ve also had a good experience with Arbor Family Dentistry for general and family dental care. They take the time to explain what needs to be addressed first rather than rushing straight into treatment. If you’re considering implants, I’d focus on getting the gum health evaluated and having a clear treatment plan before comparing prices.

Sign in to join this discussion.