“Watch out for what you dump in me!!!”
Whenever our body suffers from any diseased condition, we blame the external factors the most…
That especially holds true for lung diseases in which most commonly the factors that are blamed are cigarettes and smoke. Although these are the major devastating factors for lung diseases, there are certain factors “born and brought up in our own oral cavity” which may often lead to lung infections which has a potentially high mortality rate!
Yes, that’s true! Microaspiration of bacteria, especially from the patients with gum and periodontal diseases into the respiratory pathways and lung parenchyma, are known to cause and exacerbate the conditions of
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and
- ventilator associated pneumonia (VAP)
in chronic debilitated patients in hospitals.
Mouth with bleeding gums and periodontal diseases as well as dental caries harbors
- Streptococcus pneumonae
- Neisseria species
and many other gram negative species of microbes which make the lung inflamed and diseased. The point to be taken notice of is-
“It’s not only the old and the patients with comorbidities but even pediatric patients are known to have bouts and exacerbation of chronic bronchitis attacks due to prevotella species from unhealthy mouth.”
Dental caries and associated cracks and cavities give shelter to disease pathogens which further contaminate the overall bacterial ecosystem and cause the diseases to worsen.
The role of the oral microbiome on lung disease
Recent COVID associated pneumonias showed great results in healing after thorough cleaning and maintenance of the oral hygiene by the use of anti- bacterial tooth pastes and mouth washes in comparison to patients with compromised oral health.
Know your weapon
“A dentist’s major weapon is prescription of correct cleaning agents for the correct candidate!”
Omnident brings 3 major and correct weapons together to set right the oral cavity!
- Triclosan in a toothpaste work wonders against disease causing gram negative species.
- Alum is especially is good non-chemical agent for reducing the plaque formation especially in children.
- To keep a watch on caries and cavities the gold standard ingredient “Sodium monofluorophosphate ” works best for remineralization of the decayed tooth.
Omnident is the ideal toothpaste for people who struggle with bleeding gums, it helps strengthen the gums and prevents plaque formation. Omnident halts the bleeding and curbs gum diseases. The presence of fluoride makes it ideal for daily use.
Directions for use: Apply at least 2.5 cm (1-inch strip) of the Omnident toothpaste onto a soft bristle toothbrush. Brush teeth thoroughly for at least 2 minutes twice a day or as recommended by a dentist . Brush at a 45 degree angle to your teeth by directing the bristles to where gums and teeth meet (modified Bass technique).
It is not meant for use in children.
Hence, Omnident with it’s 3 Musketeer’s together, can help protect your oral cavity and lungs from microaspirational damage !
- Dental Health Can Also Affect Your Lungs! - November 6, 2021
- Cleaning your “plastic beauty” : Patient checklist for cleaning dental prosthesis - September 18, 2021
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate & Paraben: The Controversy Behind The Popularity - August 13, 2021