Options after BDS in India – An Introduction
You are done with your 5 years studying dentistry. What lies ahead? What are your options? and more importantly what are the options after BDS in India and abroad? We did a comprehensive study and found out some of the best options for Dentists in India who are looking for jobs and a breakthrough.
DR examines your career options post-BDS within India and abroad.
General Dentist scope of BDS Course in India
Most graduates often work as a dental associate for few months under an experienced private practitioner or in a clinical set-up. Most make it an inevitable choice after their graduation.
During this period, salary would be nil, nominal or non existent. BDS freshers must realise that if you undertake an observership or an internship in a good clinic, this helps you to see and learn live procedures as well as experience the day to day challenges of running a business which will be boon for your career.
You can start a clinic of your own after 2-3 years of clinical experience in this atmosphere; setting up your clinic with the help and support of your family members, business partners or spouse. Their presence in dentistry may guide you through the trials and tribulations of a private practitioner.
General Dentistry courses you can pursue – Options after BDS in India
- Short Term/Long Term General Dentistry Courses
- Rotary Endodontics Courses
- Fellowship in General Dentistry (Saveetha University, Chennai)
- Mini-Residency in General Dentistry (IDA ETC, Mumbai)
Staff in Dental College – Career Options after BDS in India
Another option is joining a reputed dental college as a tutor or a lecturer. BDS graduates can become lecturers, but the pay will not be enough to get by. Choose this option only if academics inspire you.
To be a senior lecturer you have to be an MDS graduate. Salary for senior lecturer varies depending on the college management; this is a magnificient option with a good career path too.
You have to undergo three years of Postgraduate Studies to be a specialist. Specialisation options are available in several branches with booming career prospects.
Non-clinical MDS subjects have less scope and prospects; they may impress your relatives and family members, but not your potential employers.
Jobs in the Defence Sector
BDS graduates can also choose Indian Armed Forces – Army, Navy or Air Force; Dental Corps and Short Service Commissioned Officers. A life of various perks and privileges, accompanied with a good salary and the pride of donning the military uniform awaits the ones keenly interested.
Looking for something bigger than MDS?
Degrees from international universities are well accepted in India. If budget isn’t a constraint, you can enroll for any of the following programs.
- MSc in Aesthetic/Restorative/Cosmetic Dentistry | Link1 | Link2
- MClinDent Prosthodontics/Endodontics | Link1 | Link2 | Link3
- MClinDent Oral Surgery/Endodontics/Implantology, BPP University, UK
- MSc in Endodontics
- MSc in Laser Dentistry, University of Vienna | Link
- MSc in Implantology, Goethe University, Germany | Link
- MSc in Laser Dentistry, University of Genoa | Link
- Fellowship in Implantology, Royal College of Surgeons, UK | Link
- International Fellowship in Aesthetic Dentistry, New York University | Link
- Mastership in Implantology/Laser Dentistry | Link
- MSc in Clinical Dentistry, University of Birmingham/Manchester | Link
- MPH – Master of Public Health, UK/Canada Universities | Link
Indian Fellowships/Masterships – Scope of BDS Course in India
Nowadays, several Indian Universities/Dental Organizations are conducting Fellowships/Masterships regularly in India. Some of the most popular ones are:
Fellowship In Implantology
- Mastership in Implantology (DACE) | Link
- Fellowship in Aesthetic Dentistry (RGUHS University) | Link
- Fellowship in Rotary Endodontics, DY Patil University | Link
- Fellowship in Facial Esthetics, Aesthetic Institute of India | Link
- Mastership in Facial Esthetics, Celebrity Dentistry India | Link
- Fellowship in Smile Designing | Link
Post Graduate Diploma
PG Diploma in Endodontics/Orthodontics, RGUHS University, Karnataka; MUHS, Maharashtra.
Duration: 2 Years
Masters in Hospital Administration is the latest demanding trend among dentists. These degrees can help you get into the hospital management arena.
Degrees you can opt for
- MBA in Hospital Administration
- MBA in Healthcare Management
- Masters in Public Health ( MPH )
- Salaries are excellent
- Profits for entering management sector
- Maximum non-clinical jobs for non conventional dentistry practitioners
- End of clinical practice life
- Administrative jobs are new for dentists
- Hectic work schedule
- No job security
- Less employers
After 2-3 years of gaining experience as a General Dentist, one can apply abroad. It is mandatory for candidates to fulfil the eligibility criteria and clear respective country’s Dental Board or Ministry of Health examinations of the concerned state before one gets the license to practice as a dentist.
Countries you can opt for
- Need a breakthrough – Career Options after BDS in India - May 3, 2019
- Botox – All Clinical Facts You Need To Know - April 10, 2019