Hello folks! I hope everyone is doing well!
Looking at the delicacies all my fellow dentists are posting on Facebook and Instagram, it seems that we will give a tough fight to the food industry after this lockdown!
Most of us are feeling low for not getting to work, so here is a list of 5 simple yet tasty recipes which are not only nutritious but are also morally uplifting to get our “Happy Hormones” flow!
We have discovered a lot of ailments and medications till now. Time to ‘DISCOVER SOME SPICES’ now!
So to eat healthy , put on your apron ( KITCHEN APRON!!! ) and try some of these soul satisfying recipes before you kicktstart your dental practice after the lockdown.
1. Lemongrass Rasam :
A lovely light lemony Soup for anytime with the goodness of calcium and iron in lemongrass!
- Ginger: 3gms
- Asfoetida: 5 gms
- Garlic: 5gm
- Salt: to taste
- Tamarind: 2gm
- Black Pepper: 5gm
- Green chillies: 5gm
- Lemon Grass: 100gm
- Button chilly: 15gm
- Mustard seeds: 5gm
- Curry leaves: 10gm
- Yellow lentil: 50gm
- Tomato: 250gm
- Cumin seed: 2gm
- In a saucepan, heat half the oil and add half of mustard seeds, curry leaves, asofoetida, button chillies, ginger, green chillies and lemongrass.
- Cut tomatoes into quarters and add.
- Add yellow lentil and cook for 10 mins.
- Add plenty of water and allow the soup to simmer for 45 mins.
- Soak tamarind in hot water and add to the soup.
2. Beetroot toast:
Typical Toast with a beetroot twist to get many nutrients in a very few calories! Also a good source of fibre to get make your digestive tract active.
- Beetroot: 2 to 3
- Onions: 1
- Cottage cheese:100gms
- Green chillies
- A few nuts
- Olive oil
- Chilli powder: 1tsp
- Boil the beetroot and sauté with onions and garlic. Puree it.
- Add cottage cheese and green chillies. That is your gooey base, which you can spread on a toast or a rusk.
- Top it with fruits such as pears, crumbled cheese, nuts, lemon juice, chilli powder and olive oil.
3. Potato pancakes:
A ‘not so guilty’ recipe for potato lovers to get a good dose of Vitamin B6 and potassium.
- Mashed potatoes: 3 to 4
- Oats: 1 cup
- Semolina or sooji: 1 cup
- Refined flour: 1 cup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Any other spices you may have
- Blend mashed potatoes with some cream.
- For binding, add oats, semolina and refined flour to the batter. Rest it for 30 minutes.
- Add flavours by using whatever sauces, spices and cheese you have at home.
- Use this batter to make the pancakes on a pan.
4. Coffee Smoothie Recipe
Go happy with this probiotic packed recipe to ease your digestion!
- 1/4 cup cold Brewed Coffee
- 1 Banana, sliced or 1/2 Avocado
- 1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt or Vanilla Yogurt
- 2-3 drops of Vanilla Extract or A pinch of Ground Cinnamon
- 2-3 Ice Cubes
- 2 teaspoons Honey or Sugar
· To make brewed coffee at home using Instant Coffee Powder – Take 1/2 teaspoon Instant Coffee Powder in a medium bowl and pour 1/4 cup hot water over it. Stir with a spoon until the coffee powder is dissolved. Let it cool before using in the next step.
- Add sliced banana and plain greek yogurt in a blender jar.
- Add honey and vanilla extract.
- Blend until smooth puree. Pour prepared drink into a serving glass and serve.
5. Dalgona Coffee
This viral recipe to complete the lockdown trend made with the same old coffee but with a toffee like smooth and tasty twist!
- Instant Coffee – 2 tblsp
- Sugar – 4 tblsp or more
- Hot Water – 2 tblsp
- Cold Milk – as needed
- Ice Cubes as needed
- Sweetener for milk if needed
- Take coffee, sugar, hot water in a bowl. Mix well.
- Use a hand blender to whip this till it gets light and fluffy. It will take around 3 to 5 mins.
- Now take a serving glass. Fill with ice. Add in sweetened milk.
Let’s make food memories!!
You can also checkout the book writtern by Dr. Fatima Sameena Sharif ‘The Dentist Can Cook’ and her website for more delicious recipes: niammy.com/dentistcancook
- Bacteria Causing Caries Create Their Own Protective Layer! - June 19, 2020
- A Guide To Disinfection Of Face Shield While Maintaining Optical Clarity. - June 8, 2020
- Yes, You Can Safely Visit a Dentist During Emergency - May 31, 2020