According to the guidelines recently issued by the Dental Council of India, an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon registered with any State Dental Council in India can practice Aesthetic and Hair transplant procedures.
DCI has issued specific guidelines pertaining to the minimum requirements of qualification, training as well as clinical set-up for such procedures which can be summarized below:
Minimum requirements of qualification:
- Can be performed by an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon after adequate training as per the curriculum.
(Note: Watching in a workshop or Youtube is not considered to be adequate training)
- Training in appropriate patient selection, differential diagnosis, and surgical technique.
- Training for appropriate post-procedural patient care
Minimum requirement of staff:
- Assistants and OT technicians should be from a medical background and be properly trained in all aspects of surgery, sterilization protocols, and patient communication.
- Surgical assistants or technicians should perform tasks only under the supervision of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon.
- Availability of an Anesthetist if required.
Minimum requirements in a hospital/clinic:
The facility for monitoring and handling emergencies should have
- Stocking of emergency drugs.
- Boyles machine – continuous-flow anesthetic machine.
- Intubation set.
- Ambu bag
- Availability of adequate and well-equipped post-operative recovery room for patient monitoring and adequate record keeping.
- A proper operation theatre should be available.
- For a clinic performing daycare surgery- it should be attached to a nearby hospital with proper ICU and critical care facilities.
- Proper patient record maintenance.
- Use of Mouthwash Promises Total Toothbrush Sanitization : A Study. - January 27, 2023
- WHO Unveils Plan to Improve Oral Health by 2030 - January 25, 2023
- ‘Know your Mentor’- Dr.Ahmad Madarati with Dr.Zainab Rangwala. - January 21, 2023